Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Showtunes

Okay, so this blog is about how I actually love to sing, and enjoy show tunes.


....


Mhm, yeah, I'll let the snickers die down. Not hard for me to admit that fact, but I’m sure some people would think that’s funny, seems to be a small populous around me that enjoys the sing-alongs. I don’t mind though, because what the hell, I like it!

I was listening to Pandora at work and I made a show tunes station (The Music Man station). And while I don’t know a huge variety of Broadway shows I did know quite a few of the songs. Since I was doing paperwork at the clinic I did not sing along as that would be slightly awkward. Although it seems to be that in shows everyone knows all the words and the choreography so maybe if I break out into a song all of my co-workers and patients would join in! That's it, I'm trying it out tomorrow.

As for singing, I love to. Now, I’m not going to sit here and say I have the best voice, I’m certainly not going to win any singing competitions, but I don’t think I’m bad either. Really, I think that everyone is a good singer when they’re in the car, by themselves with the radio blaring. When you’re alone you can sing any range, note, song, mess up the words, and you’ll still feel good at the end of the song and think, “hey, I sound pretty good!”

Yes, I do that too.

I like music I can sing to which is one of the reasons I don’t care for big guitar solos or mostly musical pieces. I suppose if I played guitar I would be into listening to that, but guitar is on my list of "things I want to know how to do", it's an ever-growing list. A capella is one of my fav forms of music, as it's all voice. It’s just voice and you can sing all the different parts; I particularly like to sing the bass part, or do some beatbox (again, might not be that great at it, but who cares?). Singing the bass or bari part is due to the fact that I can’t really do the tenor thing. Well, I can but it ain’t all that pretty to listen to by those around me. I think it’s an underrated form of music too, like when I mention that I love Rockapella, the group from “Where in the World is Carmen San Diego”? most people have no idea what I'm talking about. In general, people tend to only know that song, but the group is incredibly talented and have some great variety. If you’d like I’d be happy to show you, because I’m a huge fan. And while we''re listening to it I will do my best to not sing along. That's like watching a movie for the first time with someone that's seen it three dozen times and recites all the lines while you're trying to watch it. I make it a point to only recite lines any other time but watching the movie I'm quoting.

To go off on a tangent for a second; my favorite movie is The Goonies, by far. People know that I can recite many movie lines at random (as most guys can [as a matter of fact, I think women don’t do this because they have actual important things to remember]), I think that I can recite Goonies material better than any other movie. I had to name that as my fav movie so I could lead in to my fav musical which would be The Music Man – Robert Preston version, not the new one. While I’m a big fan of Pirates of Penzance too they haven’t released it to DVD, but that has great music too. In general I do like show tunes, they are easy to sing along to, all the different parts and there is a ton of variety from decades worth of shows.

Besides, most of you can sit there and sing along to most of the Disney musicals, so don’t be busting me for liking a little Broadway. Ooh, I like the movie version of Little Shop of Horrors too. Disney-wise I think I like Aladdin best. I am definitely not an expert when it comes to musical theater though so don't ask me about the Spiderman show, I heard it isn't doing that great... It's alright, you can go ahead and admit there are some musicals that you know and love too. Now I have a kiddo so I can sort of use that as an excuse for having those Disney sing-alongs on. Not that I need an excuse.

Initially I started this blog due to a co-worker laughing that I had my musicals station on Pandora and was listening to it. Thankfully she wasn't laughing at me, because there is plenty of ammo there. She was laughing with me as she is a fan of the musical theater and probably didn't expect me to be listening to that type of station. It did make think back to my other post about how I'm a weirdo, I believe that the singing thing was mentioned too. So I guess this falls in the category of things I enjoy but other guys don't typically. It is also in the category of "random things that I know about".
In the end I guess the take-home message here is that I enjoy singing, and singing along to stuff. I also have no shame in admitting that. It's the sensitive, artsy, music-y side of me.

Do you want to have a small glimpse into who I am? Go ahead and take the time to watch both The Goonies, and The Music Man, then you might understand me a little better.

If you also need references feel free to read my blog “I am a weirdo”.

No comments:

Post a Comment